National Reyes Syndrome Foundation UK

Second level navigation header

Life after Reye's Syndrome or a Reye-Like Disorder

Disabled Children's Services

Local authorities have a responsibility to help families with disabled children. Many children
have additional needs and disabilities, and some are more severely affected than others.
Some disabled children and their parents will need practical support at home.  However, you will be aware after reading the information contained within the sub-section "Dealing with Disability" that the way local authorities work is changing.

As a parent you have the right to have your child and family's needs assessed by social care in England ( in Scotland this is known as the social work services, and in Northern Ireland  the health and social care trusts). You also have the right to ask for an assessment for yourself. 

An assessment could lead to you being provided with services for your disabled child or services to help you as a carer. To assist with these complex matters Contact a Family publishes a wide range of guides for parents.  All of these guides are free for parents who call the free phone helpline 0808 808 3555.  If you are a professional, call the reception team of Contact a Family on 0207 608 8755.

These guides are listed below, which also include a number of supplementary publications relating to each topic:-

General guides

Money and finance

Education and childcare

Family life



Social care services

Reports and research

Parent carer participation

For parent support groups

These guides can be viewed by visiting the Resource Library - Contact a Family website and then click on to "download a publication list" (PDF) which will reveal the above list. Consult the appropriate topic on which you require information.

Helpful advice on a whole range of subjects can also be found by visiting the "Citizens Advice" website. To view this website, consult the Resources and Reports shown opposite. To find the "Search and navigation tools" click on to "Search for advice" ("A to Z of advice") to provide information on a particular subject.

Next review: December 2019